State Superintendent of Schools Tony Evers has nominated eight Wisconsin public elementary schools for the National Blue Ribbon Schools award, which is a U.S. Department of Education effort to recognize overall academic excellence or progress in improving student achievement. We are pleased to announce that Washington Elementary School is among those nominated.
“The Blue Ribbon Schools Program recognizes the hard work of students, educators, families, and communities in striving for solid student academic achievement,” Evers said. “Our public school nominees provide a safe and supportive learning environment where young people can build a foundation for future academic and life success. I wish our nominees well in the next phase of the Blue Ribbon Schools process.”
Schools nominated to the program must complete the Blue Ribbon Schools application and undergo a rigorous national review process. Awards, presented to “Exemplary High Performing” and “Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing” schools, are typically announced in early September. The Blue Ribbon Schools Program has recognized more than 8,500 of America’s schools since it began in 1982. To be considered for the program, schools must be among the top schools in the state for overall achievement on statewide assessments or closing achievement gaps between student groups.
Tom Grosinske, principal of Washington Elementary, comments, "We are so proud and humbled to be nominated by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction for the National Blue Ribbon Schools award through the U.S. Department of Education. This validates the incredible work our school staff has been doing for our students. We have known all along we have amazing families, a world class staff, and a very supportive school district. This nomination is evidence of the positive and student-centered culture that is Washington Elementary School."
The 2017 nominees are:
Premio de Washington Version en espanol
- Washington Elementary School, Whitewater Unified School District
- Mountain Bay Elementary School, D.C. Everest Area School District, Weston
- Robinson Elementary School, Laona School District
- Shorewood Hills Elementary School, Madison Metropolitan School District
- Oriole Lane Elementary School, Mequon-Thiensville School District
- Elmwood Elementary School, New Berlin School District
- Phillips Elementary School, Phillips School District
- West Salem Elementary School, West Salem School District